Moved: Changing background of the main menu

Moderators: Joyce, Laura, Eminent-Admin

Moved: Changing background of the main menu

Postby Alex » 26 Feb 2010, 21:49

Topic move: accidentally deleted the original topic..

By Biertank:

I managed to change the according BMP files in the firmware. But there seems to be something in front of the background image blocking it for 2/3rd of the image.

Files changed:
IMAGE_GUIDE_AVHDD_BG.bmp
IMAGE_GUIDE_MOVIE_S.bmp
IMAGE_GUIDE_MUSIC_S.bmp

Changed one small pic with -> - Need transparancy ? use 08/08/16 (black colour, RGB)
And the other made fully transparent

As u can see directly left of the menu items the background goes black and my BG is only shown on the right side.
The transparent smaller pics also aint able to show my new BG behind it.
So i guess there is something blocking the background picture (prolly used by some sort of script that slides the pics) which is impossible to change?

If anybody knows whats going on here or were able to change the background... lemme know :)
Forum rules: viewtopic.php?t=4
Using Mediainfo: viewtopic.php?t=1110
Telnet: viewtopic.php?t=1873
Alex
Forum Goddess

Re: Moved: Changing background of the main menu

Postby Alex » 26 Feb 2010, 21:49

I'll try check it with the devteam on Monday. Could be that the left area is a different location, requiring a different bg picture, but i'm not sure.

Many of the items in the UI aren't transparant, and there could just be a black square blocking it..
Also, the 'cogwheel' is not transparant as you can see in its upper left corner, where it overlaps your white square.

As the UI bg is normally black, it's not noticed.. this might make things more difficult if you want to mod the skin.
(Try changing the bg in the setup screens for example, you will see large black text areas.)
Alex
Forum Goddess

Postby Biertank » 26 Feb 2010, 22:06

Because i gave the smaller pics a red border u can clearly see the pictures 'slide' a bit as u scroll through the menu items.
They dont stay at the exact same place but move around a bit.
My guess is that the left part of the main menu is indeed controlled somewhere else.
I checked out all the BMP's in the resource/bmp folder but as far as i see nothing matches that image.
Biertank

Postby Alex » 26 Feb 2010, 22:16

As i've worked on the firmware (find me in the nzbget script..), i know that not many things can be changed in the UI.
We were restricted by the way the UI is drawn, and worked around it in this way. I'll see if i can clear some things up monday to be sure.

There is much more freedom in the RSS/XML area. If you made an original design, you're welcome to share it, and we could look at
including it in the firmware. Copyright issues may exists in files from others, but if they're your own you could, for example, post
a flickR enabled firmware if you made one :)

You would become world famous for releasing the first custom firmware! (Even though we made it easy with the info on the wiki ;))

It's also good to see at least one person enjoys the freedom of doing what they want with firmware!
Alex
Forum Goddess

Postby EaS » 27 Feb 2010, 03:27

Alex wrote:Topic move: accidentally deleted the original topic..

By Biertank:

I managed to change the according BMP files in the firmware. But there seems to be something in front of the background image blocking it for 2/3rd of the image.

Files changed:
IMAGE_GUIDE_AVHDD_BG.bmp
IMAGE_GUIDE_MOVIE_S.bmp
IMAGE_GUIDE_MUSIC_S.bmp

Changed one small pic with -> - Need transparancy ? use 08/08/16 (black colour, RGB)
And the other made fully transparent

As u can see directly left of the menu items the background goes black and my BG is only shown on the right side.
The transparent smaller pics also aint able to show my new BG behind it.
So i guess there is something blocking the background picture (prolly used by some sort of script that slides the pics) which is impossible to change?

If anybody knows whats going on here or were able to change the background... lemme know :)

I indeed discovered the same issue (I even made a grid, to find out the EXACT positions the buttons and text locations are positioned, but with the extremely limited modding posibilities of the GUI it was in the end quite useless):

Some other findings:
  • Buttons dissapear as soon as there is no text assigned to them (in DUTCH.str -see also id_list.txt in usr\local\bin\Resource), this makes custom graphical text buttons impossible.
  • In the 'browser' screen the text for "unfocused" en "focused" is projected at the same time (gray letters/white letters, see 2nd, 3d en 4th picture) a so called 2nd button has to to hide the "unfocused" text. Very strange solution. So transparancy in those buttons is useless (even more because there HAS to be text to even get a button displayed)
  • The videopreview screenpart (including infobars) forces itself through whatever background there may be (4th picture, usefull in a way, but not always 'welcome')
  • Where is the webservices button bmp for the intro menu? I can find all IMAGE_GUIDE_****_L/S.bmp files, but no the one for the webservice. As long as that button can't be modified, creating a full custom skin is useless.

Also a warning!! I found out the 'hard' way: DON'T mix realtek compressed bmp's with uncompressed bmp's (i.e. those from the eminent opensource page). I had to 'emergency flash' about 3 to 4 times before I found out that was the cause. Use only compressed bmp's in usr\local\bin\Resource\bmp OR uncompressed bmp's. So saving space by keeping non modified bmp's as RT compressed bmp's, is unfortunately impossible that way.

With the spartan like GUI modding posibilities I managed to get as far as this for example:

BTW: Exactly because of that thoughtless way the whole GUI is build-up by realtek (those guys should have taken the skin possibilities of the enigma1/2 engines by dream-multimedia as prime example) I decided to look for something like a source that might make things a little bit more clear. Soon already I found the Ellion HMR 351H sources. Those sources make clear that "something" is possible concerning the GUI, but that this all has to be done by the supplier (before compiling, i.e. GBrowserMenuGUI.h -> #define L1_BTN_H 65 etc. etc.). I.o.w. it is possible, but will take a lot of work.
EaS
User

Postby Alex » 28 Feb 2010, 17:03

The gui was never intended to be modded by people not working directly with the SDK. So it may appear careless, it's just designed that way.
Since we are bound by contract, we cannot release the SDK.
Anything you find on the net from others, should be considered an accidental leak/bonus.

That being said, there's someone working on something that might become really big in the future.
See http://consumerelectronicshacker.blogspot.com/ . A 'hello world' with mp3 music is pretty impressive ;)
Alex
Forum Goddess

Postby Alex » 01 Mar 2010, 12:14

Double checked, and the 'left area' not showing BG on home screen cannot be changed. (Sorry guys. It's the way the SDK/UI works.)
Alex
Forum Goddess

Postby wigout » 04 Oct 2010, 18:33

Here's the tool you need to convert to a compressed "Realtek" BMP:

http://www.4shared.com/account/file/N8I ... elics.html

to run it type:
./bmp2felics [source folder]
where [source folder] is where you have put your own custom bmps
then bmp2felics will generate two new folders:
raw
which contains a minutely altered bmp file
AND
rfc
which contains your converted bmp files.

The converted bmp files are just like the ones in the Resource/bmp folder. The DvdPlayer is the only thing that display them and even then ONLY when all the conditions listed at the top of this post are met- the right names, format, dimensions, and locations.

Anyway, I don't have a terribly pressing desire to actually change the look of the gui, but I know some very well might.

If you want to know the what the widthxheight of a bunch of realtek bmp's are, this line of script will:

find all the .bmp's in the directory

and on three separate lines print the name of the file, the width, and then the height.

It will do that for every bmp file in the directory that you run it.

Code: Select all
echo -e "filename \t width \t height";for f in `ls|grep -ie '.bmp'`; do echo -e "${f} \t" "$((`hexdump -n 4 -s 8 ${f} | cut -c8-12 | sed -e 's/ /0x/'`)) \t" "$((`hexdump -n 4 -s 8 ${f} | cut -c13-17 | sed 's/ / 0x/'`))"; done

This gives an output like:

filename         width   height
IMAGE_3POE_WIFI.bmp      45      85
IMAGE_3POE_WIRED.bmp     45      85
IMAGE_ABBAR_TRACK.bmp    782     49
IMAGE_ABERASE_BG.bmp     926     150
IMAGE_ABREPEAT_SETA.bmp          177     90
IMAGE_ABREPEAT_SETB.bmp          177     90
IMAGE_ANGLE.bmp          177     90
IMAGE_ANGLEMARK.bmp      494     84
IMAGE_ANGLEMARK_FOCUS.bmp        494     84

if you want to run it on just one file:

echo -e "width:" $((`hexdump -n 4 -s 8 IMAGE_GBROWSER_BG.bmp | cut -c8-12 | sed 's/ /0x/'`)) " height:" $((`hexdump -n 4 -s 8 IMAGE_GBROWSER_BG.bmp | cut -c13-17 | sed 's/ / 0x/'`))

Just put whatever file or path/file in for IMAGE_GBROWSER_BG.bmp that you want.
minimodding.com - - a place to discuss modifying embedded devices.
wigout
User

Postby EaS » 08 Oct 2010, 00:15

Thanks wigout! Funny .... it seems to have been leaked by Seagate. Now I'm curious, is this 'file' also viewed upon as copyrighted? Because else it should find its way right up to the wiki. Since FELICS (the compression algorithm that it uses) is 'ancient', and has nothing to do with realtek, they just 'borrowed' it. There is nothing realtek proprietary in there I guess.
EaS
User

Postby wigout » 14 Oct 2010, 20:55

I just stumbled upon this page:
http://playonhd.ucoz.ru/publ/prodvinuty ... e/5-1-0-24
ala google translate:
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... safe%3Doff

Which explains the FELICS compression and realtek's mod of it.

It also includes two programs (windows programs, runs fine under wine in ubuntu):
bmp2rt.exe
rt2bmp.exe
(pages in russian-click the button on the left to download)

bmp2rt.exe makes a folder rfc in the current directory and then takes any uncompressed bmp files in the current directory compresses them and saves a copy to rfc/

rt2bmp.exe makes a folder rfd in the current directory and then takes any compressed bmp files in the current directory uncompresses them and saves a copy to rfd/

I ran the rt2bmp.exe program and can vouch for it working. The uncompressed files were still funny. My easy image browser failed to open them. GIMP was successful and I imagine photsoshop and maybe mspaint (don't laugh) will be able to view them as well.

The reason the the decompressed bmps remain funny:
They are saved as 16bit R5G6B5 bmp's - something you find under the advanced save option in gimp.

Anyway, now it can be a two way street.

-wigout
minimodding.com - - a place to discuss modifying embedded devices.
wigout
User

Next

Return to EM7080 / EM7180 - Firmware customizing / modding