No homegroup

Technical questions

Moderators: Joyce, Laura, Eminent-Admin

No homegroup

Postby ScottBolton » 10 Jan 2019, 16:31

Hi.

Shortly before Christmas I updated the user interface of my EM7680 and have now lost all my saved network drives. When I try to reconnect them I do not see my homegroup in the Windows network (SMB) screen. I'm connecting by ethernet cable and can see the EM7680 from my laptop. How do I get my connection back?
ScottBolton

Re: No homegroup

Postby Joyce » 11 Jan 2019, 10:00

Hi ScottBolton,

This is normal. When you update from Kodi 16 to 17, the shares will not work anymore due to different type of SMB streaming protocol.
Kodi has changed this method because of the vulnarability of SMB 1 protocol.
No worries, you can still stream your files via LAN, only the instruction how to add the network share has become a little different.

Please check the following FAQ to add a new network share.

Via Windows:

https://www.eminent-online.com/faq/index/quest/q/11696/

Via NAS:

https://www.eminent-online.com/faq/index/quest/q/11700/
Joyce
Forum Goddess

Postby ScottBolton » 11 Jan 2019, 10:45

Hi, Joyce.
Thanks for your response which is, for the most part, clear to me. However, I tried to add a drive and I get the error, "Operation not permitted". My laptop is called, New-laptop, and the entire F drive is shared, so the network path (in Windows) is \\New-laptop\f. For the Server name I therefore type New-laptop/f. Am I doing something wrong?
S
ScottBolton

Postby Joyce » 11 Jan 2019, 15:43

Hi,

If your computername is New-laptop, then add only this computername as Server Name.
Then, fill out your username and password ( this is user and password from Windows account ) and then add the share.
Once it is accepted you can browse in the share to eventually add the correct folder you wish to share.
Joyce
Forum Goddess

Postby ScottBolton » 11 Jan 2019, 17:45

All done. Thanks for your help.

S
ScottBolton

Return to Technical questions