EW7015 R1 Copy disk to disk (not cloning)

Moderators: Joyce, Laura, Eminent-Admin

EW7015 R1 Copy disk to disk (not cloning)

Postby mwit » 08 Feb 2017, 16:53

I'm trying to copy some files and folders from the source disk to the target disk, in PM mode, after a few minutes the disks are disconnected and the copy fails. Also a red light flashes.
Question: Can you use this docking station to copy files and/or folders from one disk the other? (not a complete disk clone)
Why? I have several small backup disks and would like to copy parts of it to new (larger) disks.
regards in advance.
Marcel
mwit

Re: EW7015 R1 Copy disk to disk (not cloning)

Postby Joyce » 08 Feb 2017, 18:03

Dear mwit,

Should be no problem to copy files from 1 disk to the other disk when in PM mode. You indicate a red light flashes this could be a HDD failure during the copy process mostly caused by Hard drives that are starting to crash. You mention you have more smaller HDD you wish to copy to a larger drive. Did you try to copy files from another drive?
Joyce
Forum Goddess

Postby mwit » 08 Feb 2017, 19:17

I've put in three different disk to copy too (2tb Seagate disks). The source does not matter after a few files the redlight starts blinking and the copy action fails.
I had the disks in a HP server until a few days ago and they g=had no problems.
I'm puzzled.
Marcel
mwit

Postby Joyce » 09 Feb 2017, 18:38

Hello Marcel,

Only thing I can think of; is that either the Target or the Source Discs are having SMART errors. You can download tools to check this, those tools are available on the website of the HDD manufacturer. For instance "SeaTools for Windows" for Seagate drives.

Other possible cause: the EW7015 is defective.

Kind Regards,
Joyce
Joyce
Forum Goddess

Return to Connectivity