EW3706 video grabber video problem

Moderators: Joyce, Laura, Eminent-Admin

EW3706 video grabber video problem

Postby Creepy » 08 Aug 2017, 11:34

Dear Sirs,

I bought a EW3706 video grabber. I use Arcsoft Total Media 3.5 for grabbing the videos which is originally packed in the box.
When I connect the VHS player to TV and the player is in "stop" mode, the TV screen is blue. This is the VHS player default screen.
But when I connect the VHS player to the video grabber and I use Total Media to watch the screen, the screen is black.
Pressing play button on VHS player then I can watch the VHS cassette content in Total Media too. Why I don't see the blue screen in Total Media, just only in the TV? But this problem is not a big deal.

Some cassettes are very old and the tracking speed is not the best in these cassettes, so when I use the TV to watch the cassettes, black and white lines sometimes appear on the center of the TV screen (tracking speed problen), it's usual in VHS. And also the video is colourful in TV. But the main problem is when I use the video grabber to watch these cassettes, in the Total Media the screen is flickering to black usually and the video is black and white, not colourful.
I think the video grabber device is filtering the freezed pictures (the blue screen) and cassette problems (tracking speed problem) and maybe this is why I see black screen. I use RCA-SCART converter between the PC and the VHS player.

It would be great if I can capture the VHS cassettes how I see on the TV with a bit tracking speed black-white lines and colourful screen.

Could you advice something to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.
Creepy

Re: EW3706 video grabber video problem

Postby Joyce » 09 Aug 2017, 10:36

Dear Creepy,

If the screen is flickering and video is displayed in black and white color then i beleive it is best to check the video standards, like PAL B/G or NTSC.
You can check what is needed for the VHS player and for the video file.
Also please check if the scart converter can be switched to PAL or NTSC by a button. If this can not be done then i assume it will work as PAL as well as your VHS recorder.
Please check if PAL B is selected in Total media software which is suitable for Dutch standards. If it still is black and white please change it to PAL G or NTSC and check if it will improve.

Maybe you can also connect directly from RCA cables from VHS to Video grabber without the need of the scart converter. Please check if that is possible. The more converters the more chance of decreasing the quality.

"If possible" please also check with another analogue device if you have the same results.
Joyce
Forum Goddess

Re: EW3706 video grabber video problem

Postby Creepy » 09 Aug 2017, 11:59

Joyce wrote:Dear Creepy,

If the screen is flickering and video is displayed in black and white color then i beleive it is best to check the video standards, like PAL B/G or NTSC.
You can check what is needed for the VHS player and for the video file.
Also please check if the scart converter can be switched to PAL or NTSC by a button. If this can not be done then i assume it will work as PAL as well as your VHS recorder.
Please check if PAL B is selected in Total media software which is suitable for Dutch standards. If it still is black and white please change it to PAL G or NTSC and check if it will improve.

Maybe you can also connect directly from RCA cables from VHS to Video grabber without the need of the scart converter. Please check if that is possible. The more converters the more chance of decreasing the quality.

"If possible" please also check with another analogue device if you have the same results.

Dear Joyce,

I changed the video standard to PAL B,G, SECAM and NTSC but it didn't solve my problem. Unfortunately on the VHS player there aren't any RCA output. I searched on the Internet and some people said that TBC (Time Base Corrector) may solve the problem in this situation. Now I will try to get a VHS player with RCA outputs.
Creepy

Return to Sound & Vision